WFC / Walley Properties
- AS, BS, MA – Forestry / Real Estate
- Certified Forester
- Registered Forester
- Certified General Appraiser
- MS Real Estate Broker
- 38 Years Experience
Jim Walley’s love of forestry grew from the time he spent with his grandfather, Col. H.W. Jackson who owned the H.W. Jackson Lumber Company in Camden, MS. At an early age, Jim learned about forestry from the operations of the family sawmill to land acquisitions and forest management.
After graduating from Jones County Junior College with an A.A. degree in Forestry, Jim attended Mississippi State University where he earned his B.S. degree in Forest Management. This was followed by his M.A. degree in Agriculture from Mississippi State.
Jim’s career in forestry has been extensive: from working for a Mississippi based, family-owned timber business to working for a large Finland owned sawmill in Mississippi. Jim worked for the Molpus Lumber Company in Morton, MS and also worked as a procurement forester, purchasing timber for Leaf River Forrest Products in New Augusta, MS.
One of Jim’s most significant contributions to forestry comes from over 25 years with the Forestry Technology Program at Jones Junior College. As an educator, Jim taught and contributed to the education of most of the young foresters and forestry technicians in the field today in South Mississippi. The JCJC forestry program was rated as one of the top two-year forestry technician programs in the southeast.
Teaching forestry is not done in a vacuum: it means staying on top of all facets of the industry. For Jim, it also meant sharing knowledge with landowners and foresters all over the South. In 1998, Jim had the unique opportunity to meet and later becoming close friends with Ingvar Haglof of Sweden. Ingvar invited Jim to Sweden to study the new precision technologies that his company had recently developed. From this trip, Jim introduced these new technologies to foresters in the southeast by hosting a Society of Americans Foresters (SAF) field day. One Hundred Forty foresters from 16 states attended the first workshop titled “Emerging Technologies in Forestry.” The seminar has continued for 18 years and is held every July in Orange Beach, AL.
In 1978, Jim Walley founded Walley Forestry Consultants, Inc. to assist landowners with timber appraisals, timber sales, and timber management. In 1982, Walley Properties, LLC. was born offering professional real estate brokerage services to landowners across the South. In 2000, Jim’s son, James Walley (Jamie), joined the family operation.
Jim Walley is a nationally Certified Forester (CF-2049); Mississippi Registered Forester (RF-218); Mississippi General Appraiser (GA-154); and a Mississippi Real Estate Broker (B7823). He has written or has been featured in 174 newspaper and 10 magazine articles on various forestry related topics. Jim’s hard work and passion for forestry continues to be rewarded by both the public and private sector for his contributions, guidance, and leadership in forestry. A sampling of the recognition Jim has received includes:
- Distinguished Service to Forestry Award
- Outstanding Forester Award
- Tree Farm Inspector of the Year
- Elected Fellow – Society of American Foresters
- Outstanding Post- Secondary Teacher Award
- Outstanding Faculty Member
- Board Member, Past President Jones County Forestry Association
- Board Member, Mississippi Forestry Association
- Board Member, Jones County Economic Development Authority
- National Board – Forestry School Recognition Committee
- National Leadership Academy – Society of American Foresters
- Advisory Board Member, Mississippi State Extension Service
- Past State Chair – Mississippi Society of American Foresters
- Magnolia Chapter Chair – Mississippi Society of American Foresters
- Served on Laurel and Ellisville Tree Boards
- Congressional Panelist on Agriculture and Forestry
- Past President, Ellisville Lions Club
- Past District Secretary, Mississippi Lions Club
- Member, First Baptist Church Ellisville, MS